Friday, August 28, 2009

Who said growing up was easy?

I am extremely blessed to have some amazing girlfriends with whom I can always be honest. Whether it's a bout of depression I'm dealing with or anxiety over one of the many things that can cause me angst, they always listen and give me their advice (because isn't that what females do??) Even better, two of them have degrees in counseling and one is a soon-to-be licensed marriage and family therapist. Over the past few years, we've gotten together on a weekly or bi-weekly basis to talk, pray and listen. There's been droughts here and there due to a new baby, scheduling conflicts and winter hibernation; but for the most part, we've tried to make it a priority to set aside this time for ourselves and one another each week.

During our last gathering, we listened to the first in a series of talks by Tim Keller on marriage. He made several good points about marital relationships, why so many couples end up in divorce and how men and women can improve their marriages. The point that really struck home with me dealt with an issue I (and everyone who will admit it) deal with, self-centerdness. Raising a child has taught me that we, as humans, are innately self centered. Lately, Simeon gets upset just about anytime he doesn't have my undivided attention. Of course, as we mature and become adults, we hope that we can "get out of ourselves" enough to realize that we are self centered and that we really have to work at selflessness. Becoming a parent is a surefire way to become more selfless. I've noticed a big difference in myself since Simeon was born. I don't get so worked up about small things like I did before becoming a Mom. For instance....if I'm in an ice cream shop I don't take 20 minutes to decide what kind of ice cream I want and then pout after I've made my decision because it wasn't reaaallly want I wanted. Of course, a squirming one-year old who's fighting to run crazy always helps speed up the decision process. But truly, I just don't care as much as I used to about petty little things like this. It's been really freeing. As far as my marriage goes, I can work on being less self centered by remembering that "my way" isn't always the "right way." Letting some things go will allow me to learn more about Ryan and learn more from Ryan.

I took Simeon to Wal-Mart today for what turned out to be an exhausting shopping trip. As we were leaving the store, I noticed it had started to rain heavily and I was wondering how in the world I would manage to get Simeon and our purchases to the car without getting soaked. Lucky for us, one of the Wal-Mart greeters ran over to tell me he could walk us to our car; and that he did, covering us with an umbrella and loading our bags into the trunk while I quickly strapped Simeon into his car seat. "You have been a bit of sunshine in a crazy day," I told him, "Thank you." He told me to have a great day and kept the umbrella over my head until I was seated in my car. I drove off thinking that he must be a Dad, a Grandfather and a husband, and that if his selflessness made such a big difference in my day, that my selflessness can make an even bigger difference in my marriage, my friendships and the lives of others.

1 comment: