Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Am I a grown-up yet?

As I spend my last six or so weeks as a twenty-something, I'm forced to think on a question that's circulated round and round in my mind since I was a five-year old country girl who barely spoke plain English...."How do you know when you're an adult, a grown-up, a mature member of society?" I imagine everyone asks themselves this question at one point or another during their life, but for some reason I feel like I've pondered it so often it's become a near meditation. So perhaps you're asking, "why?" Here are some things you might not know about me:

1.) I was always one of the youngest in my class and therefore the last girl in her clique to enter womanhood, the last of my friends to obtain their driver's license, the last one to turn 21 - at which age I also graduated college and married, and one of the last of my high school, college and married friends to have a child (although not for a lack of trying).
2.) I married someone older than me. Yes, I know LOTS of girls marry someone older than them but when this someone is incredibly talented both creatively and intellectually, contemplative (and therefore less likely to express their feelings in a less-mature fashion than say yours truly), and just plain smart, the saying that "guys are really a few years behind girls in their maturity level" seems irrelevant. No level playing ground for me there.
3.) I've never been one to stay up late. Even in college I kept the schedule of a middle school student and still go to bed around 9:30 p.m. Just ask Ryan, who gets the same answer every time he asks me if I want to watch a movie on the weekends, "Well, how long is it? Sure, if we start it now (7 p.m.)"

When I searched Merriam-Webster's online dictionary for the definition of grown-up as a noun, I was directed to the definition of adult (which immediately intimidates me since I much prefer using "grown-up" to refer to the stage of life I'm entering or should have already entered).

Adult:
1 : fully developed and mature : grown-up
2
: of, relating to, intended for, or befitting adults, adult approach to a problem

Hmmm....how do we know if we're fully developed? I definitely can't say I always take an "adult" approach to all of my problems. I have a tendency to still stomp my foot if I don't get my way and have to work hard to think through my frustrations to determine why I'm actually upset and how much it truly matters in the scheme of things.

So as I sit at the dining room table of the house where I took my first step, cried myself to sleep over my first heartbreak and talked for hours on the phone with the amazing man who is now my husband of eight years, I am realizing I may never know when I've actually "arrived" as a grown-up; and maybe that's a good thing. After all, doesn't God call us to be "childlike" as we allow Him to constantly mold us? That's not to say there aren't steps I can take to develop a level of maturity that will allow me to be a better wife and Mom, such as:

1.) work at being more patient with myself and others, including God
2.) drop my defenses when someone challenges my opnions and invite them to share with me their reasoning
3.) realize that every day is a gift from God and don't let one pass me by without ensuring that my family and friends know how much I appreciate them
4.) be more honest with myself and others and verbalize my concerns or hurts rather than carry on with a passive-aggressive attitude
5.) not judge others or myself based on appearances and appreciate, rather than criticize, the differences in others - after all, does a clean house represent hospitality and does a fabulous hairstyle or a fancy car represent happiness?
6.) oh, and do more yoga, something I'm enjoying more and more and that allows me to quiet myself long enough to think about items 1 - 5

3 comments:

  1. You, my dear, have grossly overstated my intelligence, creativity and maturity. But, I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not overstated yours Ryan but understated her own. Yes this is your therapist friend. I loved reading this- its like a window into your thoughts- some of them you've shared and others not. Its a real privilege

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog, so I'm late to the game, but I had to chime in and say how much I'm enjoying reading your thoughts on all these things. Each post is so interesting and insightful! The MuShu post broke my heart all over again, and your openness and honesty about challenges and concerns -- real, human, grown-up stuff -- is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete